At the Conservation College you can learn for a day, train in-depth at a week-long expedition, or build a career in outdoor education through one of our seasonal programs which are designed to provide students with a variety of pathways for study. Our primary experiential learning programs include the following:
Summer Residential Career Training Programs
The Earth Skills Teaching Apprenticeship has been our hallmark residential program since 1999 and is available for qualified participants who want to learn to teach wilderness skills in a fast-paced, outdoor setting. Our goal is to ensure that by the end of the summer you have the skillset necessary to work anywhere in the field of outdoor education. Arrive in June to get settled in before experiencing our summer training camps and expeditions and become eligible for hire at our summer day camps later in the summer. This is a work-trade experience with all expenses covered for qualified applicants. Apply asap before space fills.
The Blue Skye Farm Internship is a sustainable homesteading program with “permaculture” and entrepreneurial components. The goal is for you to practice cultivating the home environment in a way that benefits nature as well as humans. Certified by the Washington State Farm Internship Program, you’ll help run Blue Skye Farm, home of Wolf Camp and the Conservation College, growing and selling produce on site. This is a work-trade experience with room and board included for qualified applicants, with some income available through farm sales. Apply asap before space fills.
- July 12-17, 2020: Tracking Cougar Country – Birds to Bears near Mt. Rainier for participants in our Earth Skills Teaching Apprenticeship.
- July 12-17, 2020: Wild Cooking & Herbal Medicine near Mt. Rainier for participants in our Earth Skills Teaching Apprenticeship.
- July 19-24, 2020: Wilderness Survival Training & Trek near Mt. Rainier for participants in our Earth Skills Teaching Apprenticeship.
- August 23-28, 2020: Traditional Tech: The Artisan at Camp Curran near Tacoma WA for participants in our Earth Skills Teaching Apprenticeship.
- August 28 – Sept 2, 2020: Scout Philosophy & Mentoring near Tacoma WA for participants in our Earth Skills Teaching Apprenticeship.
- Returning in 2021: Backcountry Leadership – Wilderness Conservation, Navigation & Risk Management near Mt. Rainier.
- Returning in 2021: Subsistence Fishing Camp with priority enrollment for participants in our apprenticeship program.
Email us with any questions. We always keep your information absolutely private. While considering an application, check out our apprenticeship testimonials from novice apprentices, former campers-turned-instructors, and experienced educators who all succeeded in our summer apprenticeships and agree that the results far exceed expectations.