Aug 30 – Sept 4, 2014 Expedition for Qualified Adults & Youth
Join us at our favorite hunting and fishing locations this week. It’s an exciting week as trout start to bite as the night lengthens and cools, salmon season opens in the rivers, hunting season opens for small critters, and bow hunting season opens for deer! The amount of hunting will depend on your previous experience and whether you need to first go through Hunter Education Certification the first day which is optional for those who already hold a valid Hunter Ed certificate.
Location: Western Washington. Please email or call instructor Chris Chisholm at 253-604-4681 for details.
Available for youth and adults with prerequisites: Adults need a 1) significant wildlife tracking experience with us, while those in the youth group need the 1) wildlife tracking week, 2) ancient archers and artisans week, and 3) fishing week as prerequisites. Everyone will also need Washington State Hunting & Fishing Licenses as required by age.
Goals & Skills Covered:
Honorable Harvesting Skills will expand include:
• Understand the ethics of harvesting animals
• Receive a hunter education certificate if not yet acquired
• Practice hunting for rabbits, grouse, and other small critters.
• Practice fishing for river salmon, saltwater pier fish, and backcountry trout.
• Utilize gear made in prior programs if available.
• Honor any animal harvested by utilizing all of its gifts.
- Ability to track down animals, trap and/or hunt them successfully (bow and arrow, rabbit stick, at-latl, ethics, strategies, butchering).
- Ability to make and use hunting blinds effectively.
- Ability to honor any animal you harvest by putting to good use all their parts (wet and dry scraping, brain and other high-tannin methods, hair on and off).
- Ability to store harvested goods throughout a turning of the sun.
- Ability to cook primitively, smoke, jerky, etc. foods.
- Ability to stay clean and safe from injury in every activity.
- Ability to fish with modern and primitive gear (wiering, netting, spearing, bow fishing, hand fishing, hook and line, gorges, bullfrogging).
- Ability to make and set fish traps, fish spears, and other traditional harvesting technologies.
- Ability to bring salmon in quickly on rivers; perch, dogfish shark, and bottom fish quickly on piers; and fly fish trout in the backcountry
Our schedule during the week includes morning wake-up, stretches, washing, and breakfast vary slightly depending on previous evening activities, but if all was quiet by 10:00 p.m. we would awake at 7:00 or dawn if hunting/fishing early, do warm-ups from 7:30-8:00, and have breakfast from 8:00-9:00 … 9:00-12:00 is the morning session. 12:00-1:00 is lunch, and 1:00-2:00 is usually swimming or other recreational time. 2:00-5:00 is the afternoon session. 5:00-6:00 is dinner, and 6:00-7:00 is usually personal time. Evening sessions begin at 7:00, and bedtime varies according to the activity and the time of sunset.
Pick-up, Drop-off and Airport/Bus/Train Transportation:
Complimentary Arrival Option: Meet us at the Wolf Campus, 1026 14th St SW in Puyallup WA between 5:00-5:30 p.m. We’ll have dinner from 5:30-6:00 and give an orientation and overview of the week from 6:00-6:30 after which accompanying friends/family are free to depart.
$20 Bus or Train Arrival Option: Meet us at the Greyhound Bus or Amtrak Train Station in Tacoma between 3:30-4:00 p.m. so that participants can travel with us to our camp location.
$40 SeaTac Airport Arrival Option: Book your Arrival into Seattle-Tacoma on Sunday in time to meet our pick-up vehicle at 3:00 p.m., but be sure to call or email us with arrival times before confirming your plans. Pick-up at baggage claim.
Complimentary Campus Departure Option: Family & Friends are invited to meet us at the Wolf Campus in Puyallup between 2:00-3:30 p.m. before departure from 3:30-4:00. Please contact us if you would like weekend stayover, bus, train, or airport transportation options.
Tuition & Registration Options:
Tuition for Summer Expeditions is $570 if you register by December 20th by taking advantage of our holiday gift certificate, $575 if you register by February 10th, $580 if you register by March 20th, $585 if you register by April 30th, $590 if you register by June 5th, and $595 thereafter if space remains available. To reserve your spot and lock in the earliest registration discount, make a $175 minimum deposit and your balance will be due upon arrival.
You can also receive cumulative discounts of $10 per additional friend/family member attending together, $10 per additional expedition you attend, and $10 for successfully referring others to attend. This expedition does require specific gear, as well as health insurance (check with us for recommendations on inexpensive temporary insurance if necessary). Also, please see above for optional pickup/dropoff and weekend stayover choices.
Check/Mail/Email Registration Option: Print out and complete our Microsoft Word Registration Form for each participant and send with a check deposit payable to the Wolf College, 1026 14th St. SW, Puyallup WA 98371. You can also email us a completed registration form and pay using your preferred method.
Credit/Debit Card Registration Option: Just call us at 253-604-4681 or 425-248-0253 and we will take your registration securely over the phone.
Our refund policy is that deposits are not refundable unless your registration is not accepted. If you cancel after making additional payment, you may receive a credit for a future program, minus a 25% administration fee of total payments made, in case of emergency. You will receive a full refund if your program is canceled and not rescheduled at a time that you can attend. No refund (and not necessarily any credit) is given if a participant is inappropriate at the program and asked to leave.
Course Preparation: Agreements & Packing List
Not ready to register yet?
Email us to be put on our our list for this program in the future. We always keep your information absolutely private, and will never share it. You can also like our facebook page to keep in better touch.